Friday, September 13, 2013

Fair Ground Class

This morning I spent several hours teaching kindergarten students (around 200) all about the fruits and vegetables that are grown in the garden.

This week is our county fair and we always set up booths manned by our local 4-H & FFA members to raise awareness for ourselves and the farmers that make the fair, and indeed most of our lives possible.

It was wonderful to see the childlike innocence in their eyes as they learned about gardens, livestock, milking, soil, dairy, fruits, vegetables, meats, and pretty much anything else that can be associated with our farming industry.

We had a few rowdy kids, but most were well behaved.

I was especially funny when I told them that my mother made brownies with squash, and that even though they said they hated tomatoes they still loved them (due to the fact that they enjoy eating pizza and ketchup).

Having to shout over the fans in the barn made my throat hurt after a while, and I kept calling Samuel (the boy who was helping me teach) by his older brothers name, and I couldn't help but laugh when the kids asked silly questions, but I had a lot of fun teaching them about what comes out of our gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment